Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Marginal Glosses and Comprehension


Question: What are glosses?

Note: Comments in the margin on what is being read. RayS.

Answer/Quote: “The strategy involves writing marginal glosses either directly on the pages to be read or on separate sheets of paper. These can be inserted behind the pages being read, so that the glosses are close to the targeted text. Glosses are further keyed to specific text passages by arrows or brackets that direct the reader’s attention from the glosses to the text and vice versa.” P. 4.

Comment: I have written in the margins of my books often. I discovered that rephrasing the main point of the underlined text and noting the meanings of unfamiliar vocabulary are the most effective uses of glosses. I have found that, for me, interpretations are boring and often irrelevant when re-reading at a later date. That’s been my experience with glosses. I have also had trouble reading my handwriting, so I must take care to write legibly. RayS.

Title: “The Effect of Marginal Glosses on Reading Comprehension and Retention.” RA Stewart and TL Cross. Journal of Reading (September 1991), 4-12.

No comments:

Post a Comment