Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Web 1.0 vs. Web 2.0


Question: What are the differences between Web 1.0 and Web 2.0 tools for learning?

 Answer/Quote: “Whereas Web 1.0 tools allow only website owners (not users) to collaborate or manipulate the information or text displayed, Web 2.0 tools enable  users to create, edit, manipulate, and collaborate online. As Hedberg and Brudvik (2008) explained, ‘the social software supported in Web 2.0 enables consumers to become producers. Learners can contribute to the resources and not just consume them’ (p. 140).” P. 40.

Quote: “Thus, unlike Web 1.0 tools, Web 2.0 tools ‘belong’ to the collective, or to all collaborators. Some examples of Web 2.0 tools used in classrooms include blogs, digital storytelling (e.g. VoiceThread.com), and wikis (e.g., pbwiki and wikispaces). P. 40.

Comment: I’m learning this as well as my readers. Don’t understand it all that well, but hope to as I read more about it. The whole concept of “wikis” is not yet in my vocabulary. And I did not know that blogs (which I use regularly) are Web 2.0 tools. I guess they are. RayS.

Title: “Becoming Critical Consumers and Producers of Text: Teaching Literacy with Web 1.0 and Web 2.0.” LJ Handsfield, et al. The Reading Teacher (September 2009). 40-50.

No comments:

Post a Comment