Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Highlight Student Ideas


Question: What is an interesting way of highlighting student ideas in the classroom?

Answer/Quote: “Some of my favorite moments as a high school English teacher occurred whenever a student would say something particularly thoughtful, profound, or uniquely hysterical and the class would joyously insist the statement go up on ‘the wall.’ The wall was simply a collection of student quotes gathered together that hung around my room One of my favorite quotes was taped above the chalkboard, written in large, blue capital letters on white typewriter paper: ‘We’re Smarter Together.’ ” P. 199.

Comment: I think that’s an interesting idea. I can think of some of my favorite student ideas. I wish I had thought of putting them on my classroom walls. One of my all-time favorites was Reba Hodson’s  response to Ralph Waldo Emerson’s “To be great is to be misunderstood.” She said that in geometry she had learned that for a definition to be valid it had to be reversible. Take that Mr. Emerson. RayS.

Title: “We’re Smarter Together: Building Professional Social Networks in English Education.” James Cercone. English Education (April 2009), 199-206.

No comments:

Post a Comment